Battle discusses vacancy of Alabama soccer coach

Bill Battle said on Wednesday that Alabama is close to hiring its next soccer coach. UA Athletics

When Avery Johnson was introduced as the new Alabama men’s basketball head coach Wednesday, several coaches from other sports were in attendance.

Notably missing was Alabama’s soccer coach.

Former Alabama soccer coach Todd Bramble resigned March 6. No coach has been hired in the following month.

“We are close,” Alabama Director of Athletics Bill Battle said. “We’ll have an 
announcement on that soon.”

Men’s basketball’s coaching search began when Anthony Grant was fired March 15 while Bramble left March 6th.

“Well, I’ve been working on basketball,” Battle said.

Johnson’s hire was finalized Monday night, 22 days after the position became available.

It has been 34 days since Bramble left. Soccer’s season starts in August. The Crimson Tide has only made the SEC tournament once in the last 
three years.

“I don’t think there’s a lack of interest,” Battle said. “And I don’t think, a month in the – The University of Alabama has been here since 1831. It’s going to be here after you and I are gone and waiting a month to hire a soccer coach ain’t gonna, I think, hurt us too bad. So I think it’s better to get the right guy or the right person than it is to hire 
somebody quickly.”