Robinson stands chance of starting for freshman year

The incoming freshman perhaps most likely to earn significant playing time with the Crimson Tide this upcoming season, maybe even as a starter, is Cameron Robinson, the No. 1 offensive lineman from West Monroe, La.

Robinson, the No. 17 overall prospect in his class according to Rivals and No. 3 according to 247 Sports, is one of the “big three” recruits Alabama plucked from the Monroe, La., area, a hotbed usually dominated by LSU. Laurence “Hootie” Jones and Cameron Sims also chose to leave Monroe to play for the Tide.

(See also “Saban’s process needs to adapt to changing football environment“)

With Cyrus Kouandjio entering the NFL Draft, a huge void is left at tackle, protecting whoever takes AJ McCarron’s place. Alabama offers competition at every position, and Robinson knows that.

“Of course I wouldn’t mind starting, but that’s something you have to ask coach about,” Robinson said on signing day.

The competition not only exists from veterans already on campus but also from the historic offensive line class Alabama was able to pull in.

“Oh man, we’ve got a great, great, great, great offensive line class coming in,” Robinson said. “I was able to meet all of them actually. We have a good relationship. I played with all of them at the Under Armor game. We’ve got a great class coming in. I’m looking forward to it.”

(See also “Top 10 football moments in 2013“)

The 6-foot 5-inch, 330-pound Louisiana product chose Alabama over LSU on Sep. 4 last fall, ending one of the top one-on-one recruiting matchups in the country. Robinson said he experienced plenty of vitriol from hometown Tiger fans after his announcement.

“I experienced the most backlash I ever had in my life,” Robinson said. “Leaving Louisiana to go play for not just any school, but Alabama, you just got to let it roll off your shoulders. Just take it with a grain of salt. It wasn’t that big of a deal.”

Robinson was one of eight Crimson Tide recruits who opted to forgo his final semester of high school and enroll early to get a jump start on workouts and competition with the team.

“It wasn’t necessarily tough for me,” Robinson said about his decision to enroll in January. “I had to think about the long run, how it would benefit me when I get to college. So it wasn’t a tough decision at all.”

The Crimson Tide’s offensive line coach, Mario Cristobal, is tasked with replacing three offensive linemen after the departure of Anthony Steen and the Kouandjio brothers. Leon Brown, a former JUCO recruit, will figure to push Robinson the most for the starting left tackle position. Brown, a senior, has the edge on experience, but Robinson could very well be the first freshman starter at left tackle since Andre Smith in 2006, a former No. 1 offensive lineman himself whose mold Robinson fits well.

(See also “Alabama hits the field for first practice of spring“)