Lack of puppies, disappointment abounds

Men and women of the Capstone, I come to you in ruff times indeed. As a member of your Student Government Association, I am embarrassed. Corruption, despotism, even communism, these are the vices gripping our supposed “student leaders.”

Last week, The University of Alabama, in partnership with Hand in Paw, hosted a so-called “Puppy Break,” a way for students to relax and de-stress during the marathon that is midterms. The Student Government event promised access to puppies on the Quad as free canine therapy. Instead of the playful puppies promised, however, the event merely offered three full-grown dogs.

Trust was shattered.

The SGA lied to its constituents, believing us too stupid or apathetic to notice. This tactic was both deceitful and wrong, and a meaningful apology should be sent to the student body before it’s too late.

Throughout this great country, similar puppy programs have been offered at esteemed institutions. Inspired by the hit TV show Lassie, research detailing the benefits of canine therapy has taken the scientific community by storm. Harvard Medical School has taken a leading role in advocating the presence of puppies in schools, work places and other stressful environments in order to increase productivity and bliss. This is the perfect addition to a college campus to help combat ever-growing stress and decreasing motivation around the time of midterms.

Wright State University, Emory University, the University of Maryland, the University of California at Berkley, Kent State, Harvard, Yale and Macalester College all boast similar puppy programs with one small exception: They actually provided real puppies. I am going to give our SGA the benefit of the doubt and assume the intentions of “Puppy Break” were just, but the lack of puppies at the event was incredibly disturbing.

Fifteen minutes prior to the event, a large group of students gathered outside Lloyd Hall cheerfully talking about the puppies and how excited everyone was to see them. Yet when Denny Chimes finally struck noon, everyone stood in absolute disbelief and horror as three full grown dogs were brought onto the Quad.

I cannot begin to explain how disappointed I was at my SGA for this ruse. This event had the exact opposite of its intended effect. While I cannot blame my failing grades entirely on this “Puppy Break,” it certainly didn’t help.

I don’t have a bone to pick with the SGA or the people who organized the event. But our community can’t take any more misdirection or deceit. We need leaders who will fulfill even the boldest of promises.

It is with this in mind that I demand actual puppies for a puppy break in the Spring.

What’re you waiting for, SGA? Schnauzer chance.

Ross Green is a senior majoring in economics and history. His column runs biweekly on Tuesdays.