Tuscaloosa Police Department

A crack in the façade of democracy

Long before daybreak on Sunday, November 8, Tuscaloosa police officers knocked on the apartment door of a University of Alabama student, responding to a routine noise complaint. The man in question attempted to close the door multiple times before the officer in the doorway stepped inside of the apartment, dragging the student outside amidst a chorus of screams from friends within the residence.

Students organize demonstration against police brutality

Students gathered today at City Hall in downtown Tuscaloosa today at 11:30 a.m. for a civil demonstration regarding the videos that were taken Saturday showing Tuscaloosa police officers tasing and beating a student.  Brandon Benton, a sophomore majoring in computer science and mathematics, was one of the students who assisted in organizing event.

Tuscaloosa police precinct opens downtown

The Tuscaloosa Police Department opened a new precinct office in downtown Tuscaloosa Dec. 27 in order to spread its resources 
across Tuscaloosa. The precinct is located inside the Alvin P. DuPont Municipal Court building on 6th Street. TPD spokesman Sgt. Brent Blankley, said the precinct will have a grand opening for 
the public. 

Tenants question Woodlands' safety

In the past month at the Woodlands of Tuscaloosa apartment complex, there have been two separate incidents of armed violence, according to tenants and police reports. On Monday, Oct. 20, the Woodlands leasing staff sent an email to tenants notifying them of an armed robbery of two tenants that took place in the parking lot of the complex, located on Hargrove Road in Tuscaloosa, on the morning of Saturday, Oct. 19.

Bomb threat closes campus buildings

The threat of a bomb that was allegedly set to go off by 5:30 p.m. Monday led to the closing of several campus buildings and investigations by the University of Alabama Police Department, Tuscaloosa Police Department, Tuscaloosa County Sheriff’s Department and the Federal Bureau of Investigation, according to UA officials. Officials alerted students of the possible bomb threat via email at 2:46 p.m.