Seymour Blue's final record warrants a listen

Tuscaloosa natives Seymour Blue released their final record in 2014, “The We Are Both Lawyers EP”. Though now defunct, Seymour Blue was a dynamic band that experimented with a variety of sounds and melodies, to mostly positive effect. Their atmospheric indie musings deserve a listen.

Crackling white noise fades into soothing piano and smooth electronic tones on the first track, “S/he”. Soaring Band of Horses-like vocals add to the airy atmosphere, singing “Let it all fall apart/ and recreate itself anew/ in the endless depths of your heart/ it keeps me awake at night.” Halfway in, upbeat bass enters the track, accompanied by frantic synth tones. Soon drums and guitar are added in as “S/he” slowly meshes together, climaxing with a roaring post-rock instrumental.

“Chattering in Chinese” drops the EP to a moody pace as a solemn guitar and vocals are backed by haunting wails and sinister ambient noises. Out of nowhere, what appears to be a Soviet-era classical tune starts, an eccentric but oddly satisfying choice that allows Seymour Blue to segue into a higher tempo. After an unnecessary club beat-backed guitar solo, “Chattering in Chinese” gets back on track as they turn to sludge metal accompanied by more soaring, emotional vocals. Much like in “S/he”, the track comes together in a harmonious climax. Unfortunately, Seymour Blue chose to add an out of place pop instrumental to finish the song.

In an abandonment of their instrumental atmospheres, “Read it (and weep)” shows Seymour Blue bare, highlighting the beauty of their sparingly used vocals. Backed by choir-like harmonies, they sing with grace: “Every stone I try to move/ rolls right back as if it never moved/ you are stuck inside your grave/ oh me/ oh me of little faith.” “Read it (and weep)” makes me wish I would see more vocals from Seymour Blue.

Seymour Blue loses most of the atmospheric qualities of the previous tracks on “Religious Enthusiasm”. Although the religious aspect is unclear, they sing with energy: “You and I drowned our hands/ the water was cursed/ and in the dark/ I reach out my hand/ there is never anything.” Once again, the band ends with an instrumental section, this time a chime-filled reverie that leads into the next song.

The instrumental carries through much of “Serotonin”, the last track. Joined by a catchy electronic beat and distant, subdued vocals, “Serotonin” provides a serene end to the EP.

The EP can be listened to here: https://seymourblue.bandcamp.com/album/the-we-are-both-lawyers-ep