SGA special election to take place Oct. 13

A vacant Arts and Sciences senator seat in The University of Alabama's Student Government Association Senate has prompted an election that will occur from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Oct. 13.

The candidates for the seat, Sean Ross and Olympia Karageorgiou, have both been involved in government prior to the election. Ross served the SGA in numerous roles including deputy chief of staff, higher education committee chairman and chief of staff to the speaker of the senate. Karageorgiou serves as UA chapter president for Students for Sensible Drug Policy and as UA chapter vice president for Students for Rand.

Ross said he has a track record of getting things done.

“I have experience in both the executive and legislative branches,” he said. “I have a track record of getting things done. I’ve passed the most legislation in the senate, and I’m not even a senator yet.”

Among the legislation that Ross introduced to the senate is legislation requiring 10 percent of each group funded by the financial affairs committee—or 10 members, whichever is the lower threshold—to be safe zone trained. The legislation also requires two officers from each group be included in the trainee group.

Karageorgiou said that her platform includes legislation to make the campus more recycling friendly, to allow medical amnesty and to expand 348 ride routes.

Karageorgiou intends to introduce legislation that will place a recycling bin on each floor of each building at the University. Karageorgiou also wants to provide fraternities with recycling bins. Karageorgiou spoke to representatives from 10 fraternities, and none of the 10 had recycling bins.

“If we simply put [the recycling bin] there, they’re going to use it,” Karageorgiou said.

Karageorgiou also wants to introduce medical amnesty policies to the University. These policies prevent legal consequences associated with drugs and alcohol from affecting students who call emergency services in overdose situations.

Regardless of the outcome of tomorrow’s election, Karageorgiou will push for the medical amnesty policies to be passed in the senate.

“Whether I’m elected or not, these things need to happen and someone needs to do it,” Karageorgiou said.

Ross also intends to remain involved with the SGA regardless of tomorrow’s outcome.

“It’s something I’ve done for three years now,” Ross said. “I love it, I’ll do it, and I’ll help out however I can.”