12 Shonda Rhimes quotes any college student can relate to

As many know, #TGIT returned to ABC channel a little over two weeks ago. Anyone who knows me knows that I am obsessed with anything and everything from “ShondaLand.” We have award-winning writer/director/producer Shonda Rhimes to thank for this. With her hit television series ‘Greys Anatomy,’ ‘Scandal’ and ‘How to Get Away With Murder,’ Shonda has her fans on edge every week predicting the outcomes of series favorites’ Meredith Grey, Olivia Pope and Annalise Keating.

Not too long ago, a college lady herself, Rhimes received her Bachelors from Dartmouth College in English literature and creative writing. After dabbling in advertising, she earned her Master of Fine Arts in the writing for screen and television program at the University of Southern California’s School of Cinematic Arts. After grad school, her career kicked off and she became a role-model any young woman should seek after.

I recently had the privilege to read Rhimes’ book, "Year of Yes: How to Dance It Out, Stand In the Sun and Be Your Own Person," which was published in the fall of 2015. Let me tell you, Shonda Rhimes is changing lives one page at a time. Here are a few of her quotes that I took to heart, and I think we can all relate to.

1. “They tell you: Follow your dreams. Listen to your spirit. Change the world. Make your mark. Find your inner voice and make it sing. Embrace failure. Dream. Dream and dream big. As a matter of fact, dream and dont stop dreaming until your dream comes true.

I think thats crap.

I think a lot of people dream. And while they are busy dreaming, the really happy people, the really successful people, the really interesting, powerful, engaged people? Are busy doing.

Go out and “do". Get involved with an organization within your college. Work hard. Apply for your dream interview. Don’t sit back and wait for success to happen to you. Use your resources and make it happen.

2. “If I don't poke my head out of my shell and show people who I am, all anyone will ever think I am is my shell.”

Don’t be afraid to go out of your comfort zone. Explore and make new friends. If you never try, you’ll never know.

3. “Don’t let what he wants eclipse what you need. He is very dreamy,” she says. “But he is not the sun. You are.”

Do not stop for a man. Ever. Cristina Yang said it best. You are the sun, girl, you are. #girlpower

4.“Dreams are lovely. But they are just dreams. Fleeting, ephemeral. Pretty. But dreams do not come true just because you dream them. It’s hard work that makes things happen. It’s hard work that creates change.”

Be ambitious. Set goals. Work towards those goals, and don’t slow down for anyone. Dreams can run away from you, but hard work cannot.

You know those times when you find yourself on twitter or Instagram but you should really be writing a paper. #procrastination

6.“Sometimes the toilet paper does not win. Sometimes a broke woman needs the red wine more.”

Target. Enough said.

7.“Saying yes ... saying yes is courage. Saying yes is the sun. Saying yes is life.”

You know those nights when you really should be studying for finals, but it’s your last week before all of your friends’ part ways. Girl, you’ve already worked your tail off. You deserve a night out. Just say yes. Live a little; these four years are all you have until the real-world steps in.

8.“I need to believe that Beyoncé’s life is perfect. It keeps me going.”

Don’t we all, Shonda? Don’t we all?

9.“You just have to keep moving forward. You just have to keep doing something, seizing the next opportunity, staying open to trying something new. It doesn’t have to fit your vision of the perfect job or the perfect life. Perfect is boring, and dreams are not real. Just ... DO.”

When life gets tough, you feel overwhelmed and just don’t know where to go next. Just keep moving forward.

10.“Who you are today ... that’s who you are. Be brave. Be amazing. Be worthy. And every single time you get the chance? Stand up in front of people. Let them see you. Speak. Be heard. Go ahead and have the dry mouth. Let your heart beat so, so fast. Watch everything move in slow motion. So what. You what? You pass out, you die, you poop? No. (And this is really the only lesson you’ll ever need to know.)”

Take a chance. Do what you have to do. You are strong. You are brave. You are worthy. YOU are amazing.

11.“Her toolbox is full. She has learned to not let go of the pieces of herself that she needs in order to be what someone else wants. She’s learned not to compromise. She’s learned not to settle. She’s learned, as difficult as it is, how to be her own sun.”

Once you figure all of the rest out…

12.“There is no list of rules. There is one rule. The rule is: there are no rules. Happiness comes from living as you need to, as you want to. As your inner voice tells you to. Happiness comes from being who you actually are instead of who you think you are supposed to be. Being traditional is not traditional anymore. It’s funny that we still think of it that way. Normalize your lives, people. You don’t want a baby? Don’t have one. I don’t want to get married? I won’t. You want to live alone? Enjoy it. You want to love someone? Love someone. Don’t apologize. Don’t explain. Don’t ever feel less than. When you feel the need to apologize or explain who you are, it means the voice in your head is telling you the wrong story. Wipe the slate clean. And rewrite it. No fairy tales. Be your own narrator. And go for a happy ending. One foot in front of the other. You will make it.”