Broke and Boujie: Tips to save money in college

Being in college is expensive, so why not save money where you can and still enjoy yourself? Most of these tips are used and known widely, but for those who haven’t caught on…

Here’s a few tips on how I live Broke and Boujie.

1. Buy clothes out of season

Stock up on swimsuits, sandals and summer-wear in the winter, and vice versa; stock up on coats, boots and winter essentials in the spring and summer. Most retailers offer major discounts on clothes that are out of season. Additionally, buy seasonal decorations right as the season ends (i.e. buying Christmas trees after Christmas, and Halloween, Thanksgiving and Easter decorations after their respective holidays).

2. If you are in the military or a dependent with an ID, ask for discounts… everywhere 

My dad was in the military for a number of years, and I never noticed how many discounts were offered to him. If you are a veteran or dependent with valid military identification, be sure to check if the places you visit offer military discounts. According to bradsdeals.com, you should check at some of the following places (some discounts dependent on location): Red Robin, Raising Cane’s, Steel City Pops, Popeyes, Papa Murphy’s, Old Navy, Eddie Bauer, Nike and many more. 

3. Groupon

Groupon is honestly one of my favorite apps. It offers discounts on local goods services an events. I’ve had amazing seats at multiple concerts and treated myself to some super fun (and delicious) things around Birmingham, all thanks to Groupon. You could score discounts on anything from flowers, to makeup, to automotive services.

4. Couponing/ Price Match

I live by couponing, I’m not an extreme couponer or anything like that; but I do love it. If you take the time to make a grocery list and take advantage of the coupons that come in the mail, you could save a ton of money. In addition to my love of couponing, I love going to Wal-Mart and getting them to price match. If you have the most current ad from a local grocery store, and they happen to offer a product at a lower price than Wal-Mart; Wal-Mart will match said grocery store’s price.