Five services available to help students de-stressBy Isabella Garrison | 11/28/2017 7:51am
As dead week approaches, the need for stress relief for students increases. The following services are offered on campus and around Tuscaloosa to aid students in relieving some end-of-semester stress.
- A Restorative Yoga Session is offered Tuesday, Nov. 28 in Gorgas Library, room 205, from 12:15-12:45 p.m. Restorative yoga triggers the relaxation response; a neurological response that tells people they are safe. It also allows students to release tension from our bodies and to pause in a fast paced world. Props are used in the practice to encourage release of tension from the body. Participants are asked to bring a mat or something to lay on.
- The Center for Academic Success is holding a seminar on preparing for final exams Tuesday, Nov. 28 from 2-3 p.m. The seminar, held in 2012 North Lawn Hall, is free to all students and offers guidance on preparing for the final semester push.
- Gorgas Library offers Research Rescue services, from 4-6 p.m., Monday through Thursday, ending Dec. 14. Librarians are available to help students with research papers, from developing their topic, to finding and citing sources. Help is offered at the information desk on the first floor of Gorgas Library.
- The Counseling Center offers a number of support groups, including the Wired and Tired: Strategies for Managing Your Anxiety workshop and the Creative Stress Relief Workshop. The anxiety-specific workshop is held Wednesdays at 4 p.m. in the Counseling Center, with students learning skills for reducing anxiety. The Creative Stress Relief Workshop is held Fridays at 3 p.m. in the University Recreation Center, with students building creative tools and strategies to help increase coping skills for stress.
- Tuscaloosa’s Metro Animal Shelter offers "Happy Hour," Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday from noon-4 p.m. University students can rent a dog for the day through this program, providing much-needed stress relief for students and dogs alike.