New Orleans Voodoo Fest attracts students for fall break

Fall break marks the halfway point in the semester, and many students travel to their hometowns for respite from the hectic schedule of college life. 

However, many who are looking for good music, good food and a good time are attending the Voodoo Music Festival in New Orleans. 

The festival is the weekend before Halloween, and many attendees dress in costume during the festival.

Many of the artists choose to dress up in costume as well in spirit of the Halloween season.  Last year, G-Eazy performed dressed as the Joker with a full face of makeup.

Artists never fail to make their performances memorable and enjoyable for the audience.

With a lineup of artists and performers such as Kendrick Lamar, Post Malone, The Killers, Foo Fighters and DJ Snake, Voodoo certainly promises its attendees a show. 

“I’m a huge Kendrick fan, and I’ve never seen him in concert so when I heard he was performing, I knew I definitely had to go,” said Abigail Shepherd, a sophomore majoring in business.

Over 70 bands will perform in the New Orleans City Park Festival Grounds this weekend.

The lineup also includes performances such as The Head and the Heart, Galantis, Kehlani, Dillon Francis and Prophets of Rage. 

“I’ve gone to Voodoo so many times,” said Jaclyn Murphy, a sophomore majoring in biology. “Of course I dress up every year. That’s the best part.  Last year I wore a full-on leopard print cat onsie type of thing.”

This is the 19th edition of Voodoo Fest, and Voodoo offers a long tradition of first-class festival experience.

Though everyone goes for the music, the festival offers activities such as an interactive haunted house and large-scale art installations. 

Along with activities, the festival offers a selection of foods that are the best New Orleans has to offer. 

“I remember last year I got a crepe, and it was one of the best I’ve ever had,” said Taylor Cassar, a sophomore majoring in business. “Though the music is why I went, the food was definitely a nice surprise.” 

Attendees can try New Orleans’s local restaurants and sample the taste of the renowned New Orleans cuisine.  The festival also offers vegan, vegetarian and gluten-free options. 

“Honestly, the food never gets old,” said Murphy, a New Orleans native. “Though I’m from here, I never fail to grab something from the food trucks or stands throughout the festival. It really does have some great options.”

Along with Voodoo, New Orleans also has endless activities to offer its visitors.  

Voodoo will take over City Park in New Orleans from Oct. 27-29.