Cooking Column: Easy one-bowl potato wedges

Do you find yourself wanting a food you haven’t had in months? 

I’m talking about a food that you almost forgot existed, but then for some reason find yourself craving. Because I found myself doing that this week. I hadn’t thought about potato wedges in forever, hadn’t seen them in a while, but my brain was stuck on them this week. 

Potato wedges are a nice versatile food. They’re a good side dish to have with a burger or a good snack or small meal on their own. Potatoes in general are just the basis for some of the best foods, whether they’re mashed, or made into chips or cut up into fries. 

Now I could’ve bought some frozen potato wedges, but where’s the fun in that? So instead I picked up three potatoes from the store and decided to make some myself. They’re not hard to make—they’re really easy actually. All you have to do is cut the potatoes into wedges, mix them with some olive oil and seasoning and bake them. 

Depending on how big your potatoes are, they may take less time to cook or more time to cook than mine did. I used three fairly large potatoes, but I also cut the wedges in half so they would cook a little faster. If you use smaller potatoes, you might want to check on them at around the 30 minute mark. If then you decide to make your wedges bigger than mine, they might need a little more time in the oven. 

You’ll know when they’re done by using the fork test you use for all potatoes: If you stick a fork in and it goes through and comes out easily, your potatoes are ready.

The most efficient way to make sure your wedges are well seasoned is to mix them with oil and seasoning in a bowl with a lid. Once you have everything in, put the lid on tight and shake the bowl well. 

You can also tempt fate, like I do, and give the bowl a couple small tosses in the air. One day this will surely result in a big mess, but for now it makes me feel fancy. Just make sure the lid is on nice and tight. 

What you’ll need 

3 large potatoes 

3 tablespoons olive oil 

1 teaspoon italian seasoning 

1 teaspoon parmesan cheese 

1 teaspoon garlic salt

How to make it 

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. 

Wash the potatoes and then cut them into wedges. 

Place the wedges into a bowl, add olive oil to bowl and mix well. 

Add italian seasoning, parmesan cheese and garlic salt and mix well. 

Line a baking sheet with tin foil and spread potatoes in a single layer on sheet. 

Bake for 40 minutes. 

Enjoy!