Fashion fanatics celebrate New York Fashion Week

Fashion lovers everywhere await the arrival of the glorious New York Fashion Week, as it ushers in a new season of collections into the fashion world.   

“Fashion has always reflected what is going on in the world around us,” said Shirley Foster, the department head for clothing textiles and interior design. “New York Fashion week, along with London, Paris and Milan bring together talented seasoned designers, and newcomers as well, who have interpreted the political, social and artistic aspects of our current world view through clothing.” 

Fashion week is all about the big names of the design world – who stands out, who’s invited and audience reactions all contribute to the fanfare.  

Sometimes it seems like runway styles don’t have any affect on everyday life, but the fashions do influence more casual wear, Foster said. The models, the scenery and the clothes may not seem realistic or practical to the average consumer, but it’s the design elements that often trickle down. 

“We often hear that what is photographed on the runway cannot be worn in everyday life,” said Foster. “However, what we wear everyday does filter down from the artistic elements of the design shown at fashion week.”

New York Fashion Week is an opportunity for new and up-and-coming designers to step foot in the fashion world, as well as well-known artists. Designers can display their new designs and continue to change their look and vibe. 

“Fashion is important because it gives individuals the ability to express their style and likes through clothing,” said Ivana Maclin, a sophomore majoring in apparel and textiles. “When someone compliments your outfit, it makes you feel better about yourself because you think, ‘I did that. I look good today,’ and that’s a good feeling.” 

New York Fashion Week leaves impressions on young designers like Maclin.  

“I have loved fashion ever since elementary school,” said Maclin. “I wanted to be a fashion designer and hear celebrities on the red carpet say, ‘I’m wearing Ivana.'” 

The different styles speak to different people. Various designers are able to present a style that appeals to a certain audience, if not more than one. 

“When I make it [to NYFW], I hope to see my favorite part of the whole week – the New York street style,” Maclin said.  “I love to see the various outfits people wear around the city because it shows how different everyone is and how confident they are expressing their style. Don’t get me wrong, I love the many fashion shows that go on, but what’s on the streets is what’s trending.” 

Street style also plays an influential role throughout New York Fashion Week.  

“Form, color and scale are utilized through the medium of fabric and the viewpoint of the designer to create a look,” Foster said. “Clothing can express who we think we are or who we want to be.” 

New York Fashion Week continues through Sept. 13.