Tuscaloosa teen wins Food Network contest

A Tuscaloosa teen took his culinary skills to Food Network’s “Chopped Junior” and walked away with $10,000.

“I’m so pumped, I could run a million miles right now,” Fuller Goldsmith has said after his win.

Goldsmith, a Tuscaloosa Academy seventh-grader, appeared on the show’s fried-food-themed episode Tuesday night, preparing Southern favorites like okra, beignets and chicken tenders battered with hush puppy batter.

Host Ted Allen and judges Alex Guarnaschelli, Rebecca Lang and guest judge Zachary Quinto were thoroughly impressed with Goldsmith.

Goldsmith attributed this calm to his experience cooking for football tailgates, according to the Tuscaloosa News. “I do keep my cool under pressure,” Goldsmith said. “If I can handle my tailgates, I can handle the Chopped Junior kitchen.”

The Chopped Junior experience was a special one for Goldsmith, as the show has been an important part of his life since being diagnosed with leukemia. “When I was diagnosed … ’Chopped’ was the only thing that got me up and cooking,” Goldsmith told the judges.

The Tuscaloosa News reports that Fuller plans to donate some of the $10,000 prize money to the Division of Hematology and Pediatric Oncology at Children’s of Alabama Hospital.