Autism should not separate us

I distinctly remember my first encounter with a child who had autism. I was just a child myself, around the age of 10 years old, taking flute lessons from a dear family friend who was a mother of two. As one of her boys played softly in the living room, her other child cried from the noise of our feet tapping the beat on the floor. He would get aggressive, and then he would want a hug. He would smile the widest smile and then, refuse to make eye contact. As year after year went by, I saw my instructor and her family once a week, and I watched this baby boy grow up into a toddler, never attempt to speak.

These were the days before social media. Before our dear friend knew that there were other mothers out there facing the same heartbreaking, challenging and exhausting battle. My family and I watched her search day and night for solutions. We listened to her tell us of the countless expenses adding up for treatments, therapy and anything that offered a sliver of hope. We prayed with her, for her family, for her sons and for a miracle, and we continue to do so.

I realized, as I watched these two brothers interact, how fortunate I was to have a brother who was able to look me in the eyes and speak the words “I love you,” to have a bond with him where we could verbally communicate and joke with one another. We have a relationship that is peaceful, understanding and carefree. A relationship I take for granted often without realizing.

The mothers, fathers, sisters and brothers, friends, husbands and wives of people on the autistic spectrum continue to be the bravest, strongest and kindest people I know. As social media grows, I have seen people come together through the struggle of caring for someone with autism, celebrating the smallest and biggest of victories and providing comfort in honest and sincere ways. I have witnessed social media connect people across the nation and the world, educating one another on the triumphs and challenges each day brings when someone you love has autism.

On April 2, World Autism Day, people from across the globe wore blue in celebration of the beauty autism brings to the world, in hopes of finding a cure, and in honor of those who battle autism each day. According to Autism Speaks, autism now affects one in 68 children and one in 42 boys, with prevalence figures continuing to grow. While I’m grateful for the accumulating resources that exist today, my heart breaks as I watch even more family and friends face the same reality I first witnessed 12 years ago. Autism Speaks has also found that autism costs a family $60,000 a year on average, a statistic that speaks to the pressure families of those with autism consistently face.

But as the prevalence of autism has grown, so has my heart and understanding for those who are affected by autism in any kind of way. I have learned to practice patience when things seem uncomfortable. I have learned to offer support and a listening ear rather than to give advice. I have learned that communication is not solely verbal and that there are many other ways to let someone know you see them, you appreciate them and you care for them. I have learned that presence of autism cannot hold me back from connecting with someone.

While autism may not be in your day to day life, it is so important to remember that for other people, that is all their day-to-day life is filled with. We often take for granted the connections and communication we have with our friends and families on a consistent basis, rather than remembering that not everyone is so fortunate to be able to give or receive such expression. Autism should never be seen as something that separates us, but rather as something that has the ability to change our perspective, to learn in new ways and to appreciate individuals for exactly who they are. Autism is a gift, though wrapped in challenges, heartache, frustration and sorrow, but a gift in the way that it teaches us to love without boundaries and with compassion. 

Morgan Nicodemus is a senior majoring in public relations. Her column runs biweekly.