Volunteerism is more than just a resume builder

As someone who met basically all of her friends via extracurricular activities, I am always going to be the one to encourage students to “get involved.” In terms of volunteerism specifically, the number one benefit thrown around is that “it’ll look great on a resume.” This seems to be true; personally, almost every internship interview I have had this year has asked me about my commitment to service and specific experiences I have had. But is resume-building really the only, or even the best reason to volunteer?

The University of Alabama is the state’s flagship university and has an enormous effect not just on Tuscaloosa but on Alabama as a whole. One of the things I love about the University is that there seems to be an underlying understanding of this impact and a general commitment to serving our community well. As an out-of-state student, Tuscaloosa welcomed me with open arms, and I see it as my responsibility to leverage my access to the University’s resources and give back to the place I now call home. Luckily, the University makes it extremely easy to do so.

There are so many ways to serve here, and every student can find a group that best utilizes their personal strengths and interests. I’ll provide some anecdotal evidence: I am a business student and have gotten to take part in Culverhouse LIFT to teach business skills to young adults here in Tuscaloosa and even overseas in Galette-Chambon, Haiti. I also love working with children and have gotten involved in mentoring programs at local schools like Al’s Pals and READ Alabama, and this semester I am even teaching French to a group of first graders. Dozens of organizations like the ones I have been a part of exist across all colleges and facets of the University; there is something for everyone. The Center for Service and Leadership offers a newsletter that informs students of different opportunities, or students looking to get involved can read about different organizations via the SOURCE, a database of all registered on-campus organizations.

I also honestly believe that college is not just a time to develop as a student and a professional, but also as an individual. No aspect of my time here at the University has had quite as big of an impact on me personally as volunteerism. Serving has taught me so much about empathy, humility, and leadership. It has opened my eyes to the challenges that communities face daily – communities as close as right down the road and as far away as rural Haiti. I have seen a positive impact on my mental health through volunteerism and typically walk away from a project feeling happier and less anxious.

So to the student who has not yet found a volunteerism opportunity to get plugged into here at the University, find something you are passionate about and go for it. Yes, you will gain a line to add to your resume and maybe even a talking point for a future interview. And those are not bad things. But trust me, it goes much deeper than that. 

Lauren Deutsch is a junior majoring in operations management. Her column runs biweekly.