Cooking Column: Banana nut muffins, with a chocolate twist

One of the first things I learned how to make by myself was banana nut muffins. My mom taught me how to make cookies and cupcakes, but we were never a big muffin household. So I started out learning to make them using the cheap bag mix, and eventually I got curious enough to figure out how to make them completely from scratch.

Most of the time I still use the bag mix to make muffins because it’s easier, but every so often I like to take the time to do it by hand. There’s just something very satisfying in smushing bananas until they’re a mushy mess.

Plus, baking muffins makes the apartment smell really good. Like, I’m not kidding. Your apartment or dorm will smell like muffin for at least a couple hours. It’s amazing.

So at this point in the semester, I was in need of some muffins. I think I’ve said it before, but I stress bake. As I’ve gotten older, I’ve tried to channel that into healthy snacks or useful treats, rather than cupcakes that’ll sit on the counter, never to be eaten.

Lately. I’ve been getting a little tired of eating frozen breakfast sandwiches in the morning but there’s no chance I’m getting up earlier to make eggs or something else. I like sleeping as much as possible when I have an 8 a.m. Muffins are the perfect solution to this. They’re filling and they’re great even if you leave them out for a few day after you make them.

Now, because I don’t drink coffee, I add chocolate chips to my banana nut muffins to give me just a little pick me up in the mornings. They also add a nice chewiness to balance out the crunch of the nuts. You can take either one out if you want. Or, if you really love one or the other or both, you can add more. How nutty or chocolaty they are is entirely up to you.

But I think my favorite thing about these muffins is that they can serve not only as a quick grab and go breakfast but a nice study snack too. You might get some crumbs on your notes, but those can be brushed off.

WHAT YOU’LL NEED

1 ½ cups flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon baking powder

½ teaspoon salt

3 large bananas, smashed

¾ cup white sugar

1 egg

1 teaspoon vanilla

â…“ cup melted butter

¼ cup chopped hazelnuts

½ cup chocolate chips

HOW TO MAKE

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Prep your muffin/cupcake pan by using nonstick spray or paper liners.

In a small bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.

In a large bowl, mash your bananas until creamy.

Add sugar, egg, vanilla and butter to the banana bowl and mix.

Slowly add in the flour mixture, stirring as you go.

Once that’s mixed completely, add in the hazelnuts and chocolate chips.

Pour the mixture into the pan, filling each section.

Bake for 15-20 minutes.

Let cool and enjoy.