PREVIEW: University Language Conference

The UA Language Conference is an annual conference organized by the Department of Modern Languages and Classics, the Department of English, the Teachers of English for Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) program and the College of Education.

The conference is open to presenters, non-presenters and University faculty members. All attendees, including presenters, must
 register beforehand.

The conference events will take place all day Friday, Feb. 17 and Saturday, Feb. 18. Times of specific events can be found on their website.

Day one of the conference, as well as the banquet on day two, will be held at Hotel Capstone. The rest of day two will be held at the Bryant 
Conference Center.

“This event is very dear to me because it was actually out of this event that I was recruited into the department, and really why I am in my PhD program,” said Stacey Jacobson, Conference Chair and 
graduate student.

Jacobson said that back in 2015 when she saw the Call for Papers, she decided to submit her master’s thesis project for the first time. She was able to see others appreciating her work as she presented. Two faculty members then approached her upon conclusion.

“Talking with these professors 
motivated and encouraged me to apply, and I am so glad that I did because now I am headed toward a career in the field that I am truly passionate about,” 
Jacobson said.

For more information about 
registration, as well as a 
schedule of speakers and events, 
visit ualc.as.ua.edu/.