Food and Drink Column: Local Roots serves up deliciousness on wheels, but for a price

Standing in line at Local Roots, one of the new food trucks on campus, I take notice of everyone’s food around me.

I see someone devouring the Smokin’ Pork Tacos that are topped with a pepper jack sriracha slaw and plump pinto beans.

Another student is chatting about the Piadine she ordered, which she describes as a salad that is folded into a flatbread.

I see a hamburger passed through the window to another student and know that is what I want to try.

The Local Roots Burger is topped with English cheddar cheese, lettuce, B+B pickles and a bacon onion marmalade all stacked on a brioche bun.

Once my food is cooked, I take my place standing in the group of students all enjoying their food and take my first bite.

The Angus hamburger is cooked to a perfect warm pink middle.

The English cheddar cheese is sharp with a nice earthy flavor and complements the strong flavor of the beef well.

As I slowly chew my bite letting all the flavors meld together, I catch the sweet, smoky taste of the bacon onion marmalade.

The marmalade is a nice alternative to actual bacon slices which are almost always inevitably cooked in a way that ends up stringy and sliding off the sandwich.

When I got a chunk of the crispy, sweet and salty pickle, the hamburger took on a whole new flavor. The pickles had such a distinctly different flavor than any other pickle I have ever tasted. They were so good I could have eaten a whole bowl of them by themselves.

My largest complaint is the prices. The hamburger itself was $9 and had I wanted to add a basket of their Grandaddy’s fries I would have added another $4.

Since they do not yet take Dining Dollars, I will only be visiting occasionally at best, despite the amazing food.