Food and Drink Column: Cypress Inn serves up fresh seafood

Love is in the air and in my stomach after feasting at Cypress Inn. I had always heard about the tasty cuisine and scenic views and finally decided to give it a try.

Having lived on the beach in Charleston, South Carolina, for many years, I consider myself a seafood connoisseur and am always eager when a restaurant claims they serve “great” seafood.

After surveying their expansive menu over some fried green tomatoes, I decided to order a cup of gumbo and the seafood platter.

The crispy, deep-fried green tomatoes were topped with feta cheese and served with their Cypress Inn Memphis dressing. The crispness of the tomatoes smothered in the creamy dressing and mixed with the salty, sharp and tangy flavor of the feta cheese sent an explosion of flavor through my mouth.

The server delivered my food and a basket of bread and I was impressed with the serving sizes of everything.

After carefully surveying my plates, I had trouble deciding where to start – everything looked and smelled fantastic.

I popped a fried white shrimp in my mouth and bit down into the succulent, juicy meat. It tasted so fresh I could have sworn that I was sitting on the beach in Charleston eating it straight from the ocean.

The fried oysters and catfish left me with the same feeling as the shrimp did. I could not believe how fresh everything tasted.

I moved on to my side dishes: smoked Gouda grits and Country Club squash.

The grits were cooked to perfection and filled with lots of smoky, melted Gouda.

Having never tried Country Club squash and having no idea what was in it, I was excited to try something new. As I scooped up a bite on my fork I was immediately greeted with strings of cheese mixed in perfectly with the cooked yellow squash. The flavor was unreal.

The bread that is served with all meals is out of this world, amazing. Their fresh, hot dinner rolls are delicious smothered with creamy butter. But the real star of the show is their raisin bran muffins. They are a must-try, and I have to admit, I ordered seconds so I could take some home with me.

I was impressed with their gumbo as it was packed full of ingredients. Served up with lump crabmeat, shrimp, catfish, andouille sausage, chicken, and white rice, it is nothing short of flavorful.

Overall, Cypress Inn offered an amazing dining experience. The giant portions, incredible flavors, wonderful service, and beautiful scenic views create a restaurant that offers something for everyone.