Music Column: Bruno Mars is a timeless entertainer

It’s the 2016 Super Bowl halftime show. Coldplay has just performed their fan favorites including “Paradise” and “Viva La Vida.” Then, a recognizable beat begins to play and the all too familiar lyrics, “This hit, that ice cold/ Michelle Pfeiffer, that white gold,” of “Uptown Funk.” Bruno Mars suavely dances to one of the most well-known songs of the past few years and steals the spotlight. Beyoncé performed her new single “Formation” and then joined Bruno Mars in singing “Uptown Funk.” The two had a dance battle, and I feel bold enough to say that Bruno Mars won. After this performance, people of all ages had a new appreciation for the artist. He is a musician for everyone.

After “Uptown Funk” was released, it could be heard everywhere. Typically when a song is so overplayed, I slowly begin to despise it, but this is not the case for “Uptown Funk.” Every time it came on the radio or I heard it on TV, I got excited and I still do. The lively, upbeat jam is universally loved and can get anyone on their feet.

Mars recently released a new song, “24K Magic.” The first time I heard the song, I was with my 24-year-old friend in Nashville. She asked if anyone had heard the new Bruno Mars song and explained that she listened to it on repeat as she drove home from work. She continued to rave about the song and how it lifted her spirits after a long day in bad Nashville traffic. The second time I experienced the song, Mars was performing on “Saturday Night Live.” If you have ever experienced a “Saturday Night Live” musical guest performance, you know that they are typically hit or miss, a well-known travesty being Lana Del Rey’s performance in 2012. However, Mars’ performance on Oct. 15 was an absolute hit. “24K Magic” created a party environment in 30 Rock and the audience and cast were visibly enjoying the performance. 

The pure entertainment factor of Mars is what attracts the universal audience. When your grandparents’ generation likes a song on one of the hit radio stations, it is an obvious sign that this musician is something special. Mars was born a performer. When he was four years old, he joined his family’s musical act as the Elvis impersonator. He stole the spotlight and eventually began acting as a Michael Jackson impersonator. After attending high school in Hawaii, he moved to Los Angeles where he began writing songs. He began writing hit after hit, including Flo Rida’s “Right Round” and Travie McCoy’s “Billionaire.” His first singing role was in B.o.B.’s “Nothin’ on You,” a high school jam for my friends and me. Mars’ first single was “Just the Way You Are” and helped him reach the top of the Billboard singles chart. Two other singles from his first album, “Doo-Wops and Hooligans,” reached the top of the Billboard charts. Mars’ second album, “Unorthodox Jukebox,” continued to rocket him to the top of the charts. This album won Best Pop Vocal Album at the 2014 Grammy Awards.

“Uptown Funk” was released in 2014 and it became clear that Mars was a hit-maker. His positive music and well-beloved persona makes him a standout in the music industry. “24K Magic” is just another single to add to his long list of success stories. Mars’ new album, also titled “24K Magic,” will be released on Nov. 18.