Clear is the new black

Clear is the new black

Attention Students: The biggest trend for fall is officially campus safety, and it’s coming in hotter than fresh Krispy Kreme. This August, The University of Alabama sent a shock to students when the “Clear Bag Policy” became a new requirement for anyone entering Bryant-Denny Stadium on gameday. Students and fans are no longer allowed to bring a standard bag (or anything larger than a pocket sized clutch) for personal items, but instead must carry a clear handbag. Ladies, I know what you’re thinking. My initial reaction to this change in procedure was, “This is going to ruin my entire outfit,” and “I might as well go buy some sparkly gel shoes and gauchos to at least be consistent.” Even more so, my biggest concern was that everyone could now see the amount of snacks I carry with me at all times. My mini packs of Oreos and Cheez-Its would soon be exposed to the granola-crunching, judging eyes of my peers, a particular vulnerability that I knew I wasn’t ready to face.

But after some thorough thought, I began to see that this change in policy is actually for the greater good of our student body. As stated in The University of Alabama Dangerous Weapons and Firearms Policy, The University of Alabama does not permit the possession, transportation and use of firearms or dangerous weapons on campus. So, whether you are a student, faculty member, staff member, patient or random person walking their dog on campus, this policy applies to you and must be followed by you. Gameday is of no exception to the rules, and The University of Alabama has consistently worked hard to keep Bryant-Denny Stadium a safe and welcoming environment for the past 87 years. But this year, it was time for a change. I believe that at the start of 2016, The University of Alabama security policy-makers took a step back and said, “we can do better.”

I have often been called a nerd for my constant dedication to rule-following. I am a loyal fan of structure in any given process, with very little in the world making me happier than a list of guidelines to follow. No trespassing? You’ve got it. Goodbye. Actually, be expecting a hand-written apology for even thinking I could enter here. I have never cut in a line. I have never gotten a speeding ticket. If there’s a sign in a public bathroom that reads “PLEASE THOROUGHLY WASH HANDS,” I’ve got to scrub out like I’m Meredith Grey or else I will be haunted in my dreams. A yellow light means “ABSOLUTELY NOT,” and the only time I’ve ever cheated in trivia is by somehow becoming smarter via the magical powers of a good margarita.

I am fully aware that I am a special case. I realize that I am one of the very few who went out and bought a clear cross-body bag after the first policy email was sent out. I am just a girl who believes the rules in the world are intended to help and not to hinder, but I know this isn’t always the case. I don’t believe that keeping my shoulders hidden in high school was necessary for my male peers to get a good education. I don’t believe that my dad’s credit card number isn’t a “sufficient method of purchase” when there’s a 25 percent off sale at Anthropologie. However, I strongly believe that keeping weapons out of Bryant Denny Stadium is vital to the overall safety of the 101,821 potential people sitting in the stands.

For the past two years that I have attended The University of Alabama I have never once questioned the security of my environment when cheering on the Tide. Instead of wondering whether the person next to me has a weapon, I have rested assured knowing everyone in the stadium received the same body and bag search as I did walking through the gate. The clear bag policy, though considered unstylish and uncool, is intended to provide an extra layer of security for our stadium while also making entry lines quicker to get through by an easily visible search.

I cherish my friends, professors, peers and so many others here at The University of Alabama. Imagining a situation where any of these people, as well as myself, could be put in serious danger on campus or in the stadium is difficult to picture, but is not as far off from reality as we often like to place it. If wearing my unattractive clear bag means there is an overall higher chance of my friends and fellow students being safe, then I will wear my clear bag proudly and with hopes that Michael Kors will save our souls with a clear MK tote. 

Morgan Nicodemus is a senior majoring in public relations. Her column runs biweekly.