It’s not child’s play

In her column published a few days ago, The Crimson White Opinions Editor, Leigh Terry, urges her fellow classmates, SGA members and part-time activists to “grow up,” suggesting that much of the petty politics and childish behavior that too often accompany campus policy is relatively insignificant, especially when compared to several other more important issues. Terry makes many valid points, and the issues she mentions are real.

There are students who are going without meals while trying to earn a degree to better their lives. Some students will fail to matriculate in six years. There are others who have no other option than to work 40 hours a week to make ends meet. And yes, sexual assault is a problem on campus. And while the struggles our veteran students face are unfortunate and saddening, it is also frightening that our campus is dealing with the same issues of inclusion and integration that Terry wrote she and her peers rallied against. There are also students facing oppression at the hands of many of these “childish” organizations which have existed for too long on campus.

I suppose what Terry was attempting to do was to put matters into perspective. I would suggest however, that Terry’s opinion is a little one-sided. I don’t want to take away from these very real issues, but SGA has problems that need mending as well – problems that if they continue to go unchecked will eventually be detrimental to campus life. While I don’t agree with the secretive nature of the methods used by some of these organizations (I believe that if there’s nothing wrong with what you’re doing, you should come out of the shadows), we do need students who care enough about our school to want to change it for the better. We need students to combat many of the institutional issues facing our school. Personally, I will always work towards a more inclusive campus, racially, demographically and socially.

We should focus on making sure such operations happen above ground. Instead of doing things behind each other's backs and plotting to stay three steps ahead, we bring the issues that matter to the attention of our administration.

I agree that the mentality is wrong. As long as there is an “us verses them” mindset, we will never truly get anything accomplished.

I am proud that there are students who are passionate about seeing change on campus and working towards a more inclusive and diverse atmosphere.

I agree honesty is important in moving towards a more successful Alabama, but so is persistence and refusal to become apathetic even with seemingly little to no results. We need an SGA that is transparent, honest and focused on bettering our campus. And that is something I’m okay with fighting for. 

Erin Mosley is a junior majoring in studio art. Her column runs biweekly.