Student travels to Paris, Tours

Editor’s note: In each issue this summer, The Crimson White will publish a column written by a student who is studying abroad in order to share their experiences in a foreign country.

A few weeks ago, I was very fortunate to be able to visit one of my favorite places in the world for the third time: the Musée d’Orsay in Paris. As I stood on the highest platform overlooking the vast gallery, I savored the moment. In that spot I was perfectly content.

That moment was one of the highlights of my study abroad in France through the faculty-led summer program: Alabama in France. We spent our first week sightseeing in Paris. I climbed an outrageous number of steps to enjoy the view from the Eiffel Tower, then did the same thing the following day for the Arc de Triomphe. A few other students and I had to aggressively navigate the metro after our train from Fontainebleau palace inexplicably stopped for an hour and a half, making us late for our reservation at the famous Moulin Rouge. Thankfully, we arrived in time for both the dinner and show; it was the experience of a lifetime.

As much as I loved Paris, I am very happy to now be living with a host family in the city of Tours. I’m taking 
immersion courses at the Institut de Touraine and spending my weekends visiting local castles. Over dinner, my host family and I discuss cultural and political differences between France and the United States. As an international studies and French double major, I thrive on those conversations where we share our opinions and learn from one another. In my free time, I most enjoy sitting by the Loire River having a drink with friends.

Above all, I’m enjoying establishing a routine as this city begins to feel more like home. I still have a long way to go to become fluent, but this experience has definitely improved my speaking ability and my confidence. Lastly, I’d like to give a shout out to my family, friends and professors for all their support in helping me get this far.

Molly Deaver is a senior majoring in French and international studies.