Thank you, Todd Bramble

Thank you, Todd Bramble

Soccer coach Todd Bramble was my first formal interview for The Crimson White. I was a freshman in college, eager to make my mark and put my name out there. I’m pretty sure he knew it was my first college interview too. I’m also pretty sure it was a terrible interview.

Last Friday, Bramble announced his resignation from the Crimson Tide. Instead, he will be joining the George Mason Lady Patriots in Virginia in the coming months.

In 2012, Bramble helped me understand soccer and battle through a few injuries and still keep reporting on the team. In 2013, he was happy to see me return as the sole reporter for Alabama. This past season, I’m pretty sure he expected me to be there and I was for all but two matches due to a run-of-the-mill cold.

In the three years I’ve covered Alabama soccer, I’ve seen a lot. I’ve seen superb victories, heartbreaking losses, hilarious coach ejections (in my opinion) and lots of sweat and tears. I can tell when Bramble is happy with what he sees on the field as well as when he is upset. I’m sure over a season anyone could understand his reactions, but three years of watching him helped me learn how to ask my questions, gauge his possible responses and learn what to do if it’s a tough loss.

For three years I’ve stood by, watching Alabama take on each competitor. For almost every match I’ve experienced something new. There’s nothing quite like making your beat your own, and thankfully I had a great interviewee to help shape my interviews.

Coach Bramble, if you read this, I wanted to say thank you for the past three years. Thank you for bearing with me my freshman year when I was so new to interviewing, so inexperienced, that I stuttered over every word and sometimes wasn’t totally sure if I was doing anything right. Thank you for always giving me great interviews with excellent details. Thank you for being a part of my journalism career and helping me define what career I want.

Thank you for being excited to see me last spring when Alabama took on the U-17 Ghana team, despite being frozen and only wanting warmth. Thank you for always taking an interest in my life and career instead of just giving me answers to questions. And thank you for being a part of my first story, my first front page feature and my first breaking news story.

It saddens me that I won’t get to interview you during my senior year. However, I do know that the Alabama soccer program will be in good hands with Jerrod Roh and whoever will be the new head coach. I wish you the best of luck at George Mason, and I hope you will be able to keep up with my coverage of the Alabama soccer program as you lead your new team.