Books are not the problem, people are

Over the weekend there was quite a bit of chatter about the movie adaptation of the book series “Fifty Shades of Grey.” After engaging in some conversations, I became curious as to how many people who are so deeply against “Fifty Shades” have actually read the books. I’ve seen quotes taken out of context and accusations made without much support. As someone who has read the books, I really cannot understand how the books can be blamed for abusive relationships, teenage 
sexual activity, murder and more.

I can see how the relationship between the two main characters can be seen as abusive; however, what many critics have cited is a lack of consent between the characters, which is absolutely false. This is not a story of some angelically innocent girl who has been forcibly dragged into a relationship in which a man has total control over her. The character Christian Grey is controlling, absolutely. However, Anastasia Steele possesses and exercises her ability to speak up, say no and leave. The nature of their relationship was discussed numerous times before they engaged in any activity. A contract and non-disclosure agreement were drafted up to ensure that both characters were on the same terms. Surely the books were not the most romantic stories I have ever read, but I, along with many others, likely wouldn’t have found them as interesting if they were. This book is not a how-to-guide for finding the “ideal” relationship. It is fan fiction, and it is entertainment. Let’s treat it as 
such, please.

“Fifty Shades” may have some influence on society, and people may decide to do things in their sexual lives that they’ve read in the books. Still, that is none of anyone else’s business. I know it’s hard to stay out of other people’s business, as it’s natural to want to save everyone from themselves. The sad reality is that we cannot control what others do, which also means that writing a book with BDSM themes cannot control the life of someone who reads it. I don’t want to see anyone in an abusive relationship, but I can’t prevent it any more than they can. I also do not possess the proper tools to help people in abusive relationships – trust me, I’ve tried. Simply refusing to read the book does not prevent abuse from happening. It’s harsh, but we cannot keep blaming all our world’s problems on art in this 
manner – that leads 
to censorship.

I respect those who do not like the book, as it is their right to like or dislike whatever they want. But what’s not right for people to do is attempt to censor it from the world. I have spoken with some who say they have no issue with people reading the books or watching the movies, yet they 
publicly advise everyone not to read the books or watch the movies because of what people in unrelated circumstances have done. This is not how we solve problems. We must hold people accountable for their actions and stop blaming books, music, video games and television shows for what people choose to do. Ultimately it is people who are out here committing these criminal acts, not books and other various entertainment sources. I simply do not understand why people can’t just like or dislike something without making a huge deal about it, and yes, that includes you, yoga pants lady.

Erynn Williams is a senior majoring in interdisciplinary studies. Her 
column runs biweekly.