UA transfer students see potential in 'College Promise': Obama proposes plan to pay for community college

College tuition rates have increased twelvefold since records began in 1978, according to a report published by Bloomberg in 2012. As a result, student loans have officially reached over $1 trillion, making paying for a college education a less viable option for many young Americans.

In the past decade, middle class families have increasingly struggled to provide the finances necessary for their children to attend college. Due to the exponential rise in tuition rates, community college has become a more socially acceptable and widely utilized option for those intending to further their education.

Last week, President Barack Obama announced his plan for a new initiative to federally fund community college for students who are willing to work hard and have the desire to pursue 
higher education.

The plan, called “America’s College Promise,” is centered around providing two years of free tuition to 9 million students, if states are willing to participate. While it 
is expected to cost taxpayers billions of dollars, it has been backed by citizens that cover a wide spectrum of political and racial backgrounds.

Maria Keener, a junior majoring in math, is one of many University of Alabama students who attended community college prior to becoming a student here. She saw her experience at Wallace Community College in Dothan, Alabama as a benefit to her college education instead of a hindrance.

“One of the greatest benefits of me starting at Wallace first was the opportunity to receive multiple scholarships,” Keener said. “I didn’t have to pay anything for my first two years at Wallace. This relieved a financial burden for my parents and for myself. Not having to pay for school allowed me to save up from my job and even allowed a better focus on my schoolwork. During my last year at Wallace, I received a transfer presidential scholarship to UA for my last two years of school.”

Tessa Albert, a sophomore majoring in public relations and studio art, said she believes attending community college before a larger school is a great option for many students.

“Being a student wanting to attend out-of-state schools, my twin brother had to get scholarships, so this a great option for students who want to go to their dream school without all the student loans or if they don’t have a certain ACT score,” she said.

Kristen Antonio is a junior with an associate’s degree from Shelton State for being an ultrasound technician. She said she agrees with Keener and is grateful for her experience at Shelton.

“Shelton State Community College has many benefits,” Antonio said. “They have smaller classes, flexible class schedules, and you save money by attending a community college the first two years and then are easily capable of transferring.”