Pressing on

Five years ago, I never thought I would be saying goodbye to The University of Alabama. Five years ago, I definitely did not think it would be this hard to let go. I came to this University expecting to be lost in the shuffle of football, Greek life and a whole bunch of buildings I’d never make it to on time. And unlike most college freshmen, I was okay with that. I was coming from a successful run of being a high school star. I was kind of relieved to have to start from the bottom again – to be normal.

Being normal is acceptable here, but those legends that leave us with memories, stories and timeless pride are never just normal. There are so many opportunities to seize at The Capstone; you just have to be willing to fight for them. So, I couldn’t help jumping head first into a lot of activities as a freshman. We have over 300 student groups, so everyone is bound to fit in one — I know this because as a former Avanti, that phrase was ingrained in my head.

A lot of people may argue that this University does not reach out to all types of students and their cultures. I don’t disagree. I do, however, think that is how the real world works. Life at The Capstone was not easy, but the lessons I’ve learned here have made me and my University better. So, I’ll share some.

First, you have a few choices to make at this University: either become a fading face in the crowd or choose to press on. I have seen this campus both as a vibrant explosion of talent and history and as a viciously cold shoulder. I could have chosen discouragement; I could have turned my back on opportunities here and faded into the crowd. It would have been easy.

I was angry when I had to defend my school to kids back home when they asked about the many racial attacks I’ve seen here. I was ashamed when I watched us make headlines, eerily echoing segregation chants of the not-so-distant past. It would have been easy to wipe my hands of UA, completely turn my back on all of my experiences, good and bad. If Vivian Malone Jones chose to wipe her hands clean, to give up, I wouldn’t have any experiences to disown.

So, I pressed on. I worked with students, helping them learn what privilege was and how we can move past it. I strengthened my council to hold our heads high and continue to uphold the tenants our organizations were based on. This was the time, if ever, to show that we were founded to be examples of our culture and leaders in efforts to end hatred. It’s a brave thing to hear the truth and change your ways. It’s even braver to be patient as others grow to understand you.

I charge students, no matter your class standing, to chose to press on. Whatever negativity you face, whatever battle lost, know that your fight will help the next student rise up. Individuals may fail – that’s not important. As a soon-to-be alumnus, my hope is that all of my triumphs will be victories for The Capstone. All of my struggles will be lessons learned for the University.

I will cherish both the fond and troubling memories I have from The University of Alabama. Saying goodbye may be hard for me, but it makes saying hello a little easier for the next generation.