Pettway, Reed set to step in

Alabama coach Nick Saban typically only takes a junior college transfer if the player can fill an immediate need and is talented enough to do so.

Most recently, cornerback Deion Belue was a two-year starter the last two seasons coming from Northeast Mississippi Community College. Before him, Terrence Cody made a huge impact on the defensive line and was a key part of the early Saban years.

Last year, Alabama’s defensive line lacked a significant push up front, so Saban went out and got two of the highest-rated JUCO defensive line prospects out there.

247Sports rated Jarran Reed the No. 2 JUCO defensive tackle and D.J. Pettway the No. 3 defensive end. Both hail from East Mississippi Community College, are already on campus and should play a role on Alabama’s 2014 defensive front.

(See also “Alabama football live updates for 2014 National Signing Day“)

“Everybody that signs here is a special player,” Reed said on national signing day. “We have special players already here. I think we’re going to come together as a team like we’ve been doing, and we’re going to keep it Alabama football.”

Pettway is actually making his second appearance with Alabama.

He was a member of the 2012 signing class and played sparingly on Alabama’s championship team that season. The following February, he was dismissed along with three other players in connection with an on-campus robbery. Pettway spent a year in junior college and was the only one of the four offered to re-join the team.

(See also “Four arrested players off of team, campus“)

“Surprised. Excited. Humbled. Eager. Everything and anything you could think of,” Pettway said of being offered the opportunity to come back to Alabama. “I was just ready. I always wanted to be here. It was my first love, University of Alabama, since high school. I loved it when I was here, and I’m glad I’m able to get back.”

In his year away from Alabama, Pettway dominated the JUCO ranks, recording 48 tackles and 11.5 sacks.

When offered a second chance, Pettway took it.

“I learned how to be more courageous,” Pettway said.

“If I see anything or if I’m around anything bad happening around me, I’m willing to stop it or step forward. I’m willing to be the man that makes a change. I’m willing to help anyone around here, any of my teammates. I learned just to be more positive, be more grateful.”

Reed initially signed with Florida after a year in junior college, but couldn’t qualify academically, so he went to East Mississippi for a second year. He anchored the interior of a defense that recorded 67 sacks and held opponents to just 9.8 points per game.

He figures to play a similar role at Alabama.

“Just come in, help the team as much as I can,” Reed said. “I’m just going to play hard, just do what I can, get in and learn the plays, just be coachable and be helpful to the team.”

Together, Pettway and Reed will be a major part of a defensive line overhaul after losing two starters to graduation and the draft.

“I talked to him every day about it,” Pettway said of playing with Reed. “At first he signed with Florida, and we talked about it all the time. With me being here, it was easy for me to tell him how things are going to be. I was just letting him know it was hard work, and afterwards you’d be a very complete player.”

(See also “Evans’ decision solidifies unanimous No. 1 class“)