Shiftless and clueless: the state of Alabama politics

As I reflect on our state’s refusal to expand Medicaid, I must question why Alabama citizens allow our leaders to make ignorant and costly decisions for our state. Is it perhaps because we ourselves remain uninformed, basically selfish and happily clueless as to what we should do to improve our community?

A little less than 48 hours ago, I was happily clueless to the fact that our legislature proposed a resolution in support of “Duck Dynasty” star Phil Robertson. I do not watch “Duck Dynasty.” However, given that our state leaders thoughtlessly rejected the expansion of Medicaid and took such aims to support Robertson, I was compelled to examine the origins of all the fuss. Apparently, when asked his opinions on “sin” by GQ interviewers, Robertson focused on homosexuality.

Second, while discussing his coming-of-age story and his various job experiences, he offered his opinions on blacks. He gravely intoned that blacks were happier pre-welfare, working the fields and singing along. No one hated whites. A&E subsequently suspended Robertson from the show. Now, Sen. Jerry Fielding of Sylacauga, Ala., proudly proclaims that these are views many Alabamians share and that this man should not be punished for exercising his right to free speech.

My first reaction is to revoke Sen. Fielding’s privileges as state spokesman. My family lines descend from the Sylacauga Ala., area. Both sides worked in fields. Neither recounted to me happy times of singing alongside the white man as they worked. In addition, none of my family receives public assistance, although Robertson implies all blacks do. Moreover, if my Southern Baptist family were asked about sin, they would most likely focus on greed, violence and lies – not male to male anal sex. Consequently, while I understand Sen. Fielding’s desire to uphold free speech, the ignorance of someone from another state is not our concern – ignorance in our own state is.

In lieu of drafting a resolution to protect the 660,000 Alabama residents without insurance from Gov. Robert Bentley’s gross negligence, our government throws our support behind a Louisiana reality TV star. If we expanded Medicaid, the federal government would foot the bill for three years, and our state would subsequently need to improve revenue streams to cover the program. Moreover, 191,000 Alabamians who would not qualify for financial assistance and subsidies under the Affordable Care Act would be eligible for Medicaid coverage.

In addition, a recent survey conducted by a UAB economist and the director for public health policy at UAB found that Medicaid expansion in Alabama, which is offered through the ACA provisions, would generate about $1 billion in state tax revenue after expenses from 2014-20. Some 331,000 people would be affected by such an expansion. Yet, what I find most compelling is the fact that another survey of 601 Alabamians, conducted by the Center for Public Health at UAB, found that although the vast majority of Alabamians neither liked nor understood the ACA, it approved of an expansion of Medicaid coverage.

Now, although I cherish the rights of the ignorant to proclaim their nonsense from whichever corner they choose, I believe our government has a more pressing obligation to focus on matters which affect Alabama citizens. Robertson’s ignorance is of no consequence to me and is certainly not a matter which our legislature should deliberate, nor boldly proclaim that Alabamians share. Instead, we should ask the tougher questions.

Why have we not endorsed a measure which would potentially impact a large percentage of our state? Why are we not seeking revenue reform to cover the costs of an already burdened, but extremely bare-boned and restrictive in terms of coverage Medicaid program? These are important questions; Robertson is not even an issue.

John Speer is a graduate student in secondary education. His column runs weekly.