Amnesty for all is not the only way to go involving immigration

America is a diverse country founded from the immigrants of many different cultures. Still, immigration is one of the biggest issues facing this country. Some believe border security is paramount, while others believe amnesty should be the primary path. I am not a fan of the latter. Amnesty for everyone in America is not the right way to go for this country.

Amnesty has received a lot of popularity over the last year. While it was used in the 1980s by President Ronald Reagan, it is now much more popular among liberal circles. Now, I understand that many of these people have been here for years and are working to strengthen the economy. I am not talking about those born in the United States.

I am against amnesty for current illegal immigrants largely because many people have been waiting to go through the system legally. It is not fair for me to say those who have spent years trying to do the right things should have to wait for others who broke the rules to get citizenship first.

However, at the same time I understand the system is not working the way it should. The entire U.S. immigration system should be reexamined. The process can be long, confusing and full of legal issues, but becoming a citizen shouldn’t necessarily be easy. At the same time, we want to attract people to come to the country. We need to continue to enforce the border; I really don’t think there is an argument about that. And in my opinion, it should be increased, as a secure border is crucial for the United States to maintain its safety from potential dangers, such as sex and drug traffickers.

I believe this is a special country that needs the help of immigrants to spur on innovation. The system needs to be fixed, but simply waving an amnesty wand is not the only way.

Regan Williams is a senior majoring in communication studies and political science. His column runs biweekly on Thursdays.