iOS 7 more pleasing than practical

Apple’s new mobile operating system, iOS 7, has been the hot topic of tech fans and consumers alike since its release Sept. 17. My first impressions of the new OS are mostly positive, but ultimately they’ve culminated in more of a “huh, that’s cool” reaction rather than the euphoria or emotional upheaval that a select few have expressed.

From the first few days of using it, my biggest impression of iOS7 is that it’s mainly a visual overhaul but a nice one. The swooshy, subtle animations work nicely with some of the apps that I had already updated before the iOS 7 release, such as the Gmail and YouTube apps, creating nice workflow and continuity between apps. It’s a nice touch, if not particularly helpful.

One of the strong points of the updated iOS is the new control panel that you can access by sliding up the bottom of the home screen. I’ve already been using the new control panel, which allows users to control the phone’s brightness and volume as well as access the clock and flashlight functions. I predict the new flashlight capability will save me those precious seconds that it takes to access a flashlight app, which was just enough time for me to feel creeped out in the dark.

Aside from this practical upgrade, some of my favorite aspects of iOS 7 are the totally superficial ones such as the new wallpapers and notification sounds. Apple’s new wallpapers look really fresh with that sleek new font, and I’m thrilled to have a whole new arsenal of bells and whistles telling me to call my mom. I’m also pleased with the camera’s new square mode, which saves me a solid three seconds of having to crop my photo in Instagram or Picfx.

A major complaint I’ve heard about the new OS, as well as the iPhone 5c and 5s, is that Apple has failed to innovate. I agree with this to an extent, but I don’t understand people who are genuinely indignant about the lack of innovation. If you have any kind of smartphone, it can search the Internet, connect you to all your social media, take pictures, store your music, access your email and documents and, lest we forget, make phone calls. I wonder, what more these people could possibly want their phones to do?

I’m not saying Apple is on the cutting edge at the moment, but until there is a major breakthrough in mobile computing, there isn’t much the company can do aside from making marginal improvements to its products. Like any company, Apple has to stay relevant to stay successful. Love it or hate it, Apple is very good at staying relevant and stirring up hype.

I think keeping the iPhone relevant is also the main function of the new OS. Most of us know at least one person who waits in line for each new iPhone release. However, most people hang onto their phones for two years or longer. I got my iPhone 4 for free after the release of the iPhone 5. Releasing a shiny new operating system gives iPhone users some of the thrill of getting a new phone without having to shell out money for a new phone or commit to a two-year contract.

Overall, I’m pleased with iOS 7. To me, the new interface is fun because it’s shiny and new, but I’m sure that in a few weeks iOS 6 will be a distant memory. In the meantime, I think any excessive swooning or rage over iOS 7 is probably the manifestation of misplaced energy and is a sign that you need to call your parents more often.