Protein shakes not just for athletes

During a recent trip visiting a longtime friend, I was introduced to the growing trend and culture of protein shakes. Yes, these blended beverages are often associated with trips to the gym, sweaty athletic wear and workout-obsessed men. Not only was I judgmental toward these meal replacement drinks, but I just couldn’t understand how a protein shake could taste like German chocolate cake – or monster cookie for that matter.

I was wrong.

For those who aren’t familiar with protein shakes, these drinks come in a variety of combinations of proteins, carbohydrates and fats. Protein powders, which are the main source of protein in these shakes, can be made from milk, whey, casein, egg, soy or rice.

Protein is one of the body’s main builders of muscle, bone and skin and thus is a main staple in most athletes’ diets. Protein has been proven to curb cravings, reduce muscle fatigue and help weight-watchers stay slim. Aside from occasional runs or sporadic trips to the UA Rec Center, my athletic routine disappeared the moment I stepped on campus three years ago. Thankfully, these shakes are not exclusive to overworked athletes and can be easily incorporated into a busy student’s schedule.

While my first shake experience was not in a kitchen but rather a protein shake store (it’s a booming business in the North), these drinks can cater to a variety of needs.

Below is an easy protein shake recipe that can be made in your dorm or apartment and can keep away the stomach growls and cravings in class. While this particular recipe caters to those who enjoy peanut butter (and is vegetarian and gluten-free friendly), protein shake ingredients can easily be modified to satisfy different tastes or dietary needs.

Peanut Butter Protein Shake:

One serving

1 cup skim milk

2 tablespoons of protein powder of your choice

1 ½ tablespoons of peanut butter

1 medium banana (frozen and cut into slices)

Place ingredients into blender, and blend until smooth.