UA should reevaluate ‘last resort’ defense advice

In response to yesterday’s situation at Phi Delta Theta, students and faculty received an email from UANEWS, citing multiple tips on campus safety, specifically in the event of an armed individual. I found the majority of the information to be quite helpful, though logical, such as remaining calm, evacuating the area and providing phone numbers for UAPD, etc. However, the last bit of the email seemed to completely contradict everything stated above.

Despite prefacing the information with “AS A LAST RESORT,” the list provided ways to take action against the shooter. After attending an all-female high school, I have been instructed to learn many methods of self-defense. When an armed individual is within shooting range of myself and others, I would hope I would never have to consider “acting aggressively as possible against him/her, throwing items and improvising weapons, or yelling,” as stated in the email, in order to escape to safety. This is completely irrational behavior that seems as if it would attract more attention to yourself from the armed individual(s).

I can’t fathom why the University would even consider advocating a position, albeit a last resort situation, that could possibly put a student in any sort of danger. I am not asking for the University to tackle an extra responsibility or burden by wanting to protect its students, but shouldn’t that be a prominent concern?

I like to think I am fully capable or protecting myself, but that includes making smart decisions for myself. When a man or woman has a gun, I am not going to act as aggressive as possible or throw items at them – after all, they’re the one with the gun. That isn’t to say I’m going to sit quietly in the corner and cry until the police come to help, but I must have a better frame of judgment than whoever crafted this email, encouraging students and faculty to blatantly put themselves in the face of danger.

I have been a student at The University of Alabama since 2007, and I have seen my fair share of Emergency Alert emails and safety tips, but I have never seen a single phrase or sentence in any piece of literature promoting such irrational actions and behavior. In cases of shootings on campus, severe weather, whatever it may be, the safety of the students, faculty and staff seemed to have taken a bigger priority in breaking news, but it did not seem to be the case at all yesterday afternoon.

UANEWS could have left that last paragraph of information out of the email, and it would have been perfectly fine and enlightening. I hope that in the future, the University would have the media relations skills and wisdom not to release such ridiculous information. These situations are already stressful enough for those involved. We don’t need people running around and throwing things acting like lunatics. That could in turn place more people in danger, all because of some silly suggestions at the bottom of a campuswide email.

Elizabeth Lowder is the assistant community manager of The Crimson White.