New study finds physically active adults healthier

Exercise provides more benefits than just an awesome physique. A recent study published by the American Academy of Neurology reveals that hardcore study sessions aren’t what keep the brain strong but rather physical activity.

As adults age, the brain tends to shrink. Like a muscle, if the brain is not worked out, it begins to atrophy or grow weak. The study “Neuroprotective Lifestyles and the Aging Brain” found adults who were physically active have larger brains.

Though the study primarily focused on adults between the ages of 65-73, it’s never too soon to start exercising. Over the past 12 years, the Center for Disease Control and Prevention reports that adults who were labeled obese were twice as likely to be told to exercise by a physician than adults of an average weight. With Alabama taking fourth place for obesity in the United States, beginning an exercise regime is crucial in protecting the brain and taking care of the body.

Katie Nowell, a senior majoring in nutrition, is physically active five days a week. Nowell claims to notice a difference when she’s physically active and when she’s not, both mentally and physically.

“On days I don’t work out I feel unproductive and lazy,” Nowell said. “I feel bad about myself because I wasn’t active. I am not as focused.”

Nowell’s observations are similar to results found by other studies on exercise. Exercise is shown to elevate energy, improve memory and enhance focus. Not to mention it also leads the body to create endorphins, or feel-good hormones. Like other lifestyle habits, exercise affects the body and mind’s ability to function.

Christopher Fuerch, a junior majoring in exercise science, exercises every day. Like Nowell, Fuerch notices a difference mentally when he misses a day at the gym.

“When I exercise, I feel relieved about myself and less stressed,” Fuerch stated. “I have a lot less energy on days I don’t work out.”

To stay physically and mentally fit, the CDC recommends either spending two and a half hours a week on moderately intense aerobic activity, like speed walking, with two or more days a week on muscle strength; an hour and 15 minutes a week on vigorous-intensity aerobic workouts as well as two days a week spent on muscle strength; or a combination of the two.

Any physical activity, whether it be walking the dog, biking to class or playing ultimate Frisbee on the Quad, helps keep the mind strong and able. As Henry David Thoreau once said, “An early morning walk is a blessing for the whole day.”