Delta Zeta wins lawn decoration contest

Megan Smith

Delta Zeta sorority placed first in the annual Homecoming Lawn Decoration contest after all of the pomps were revealed Friday. The sorority’s lawn decoration, encompassing this year’s homecoming theme of “The Tradition Rolls On,” beat out the rest of the sororities and large organizations who participated in the contest.

Delta Zeta’s Homecoming Chairman, Bridget Williams, was thrilled with her sorority’s success in the competition.

“I could not stop smiling – I couldn’t believe my idea had come to life,” Williams said. “With only one hour of sleep on Thursday, I could not take my eyes away from it to go home and sleep.

“I have never more proud of a group project and cannot believe that my leadership brought us to this outcome; I am still pinching myself that it turned out this well,” she said.

Teamwork and dedication are the two elements a group must have to create a winning pomp, in Williams’ opinion. However, she said she was not alone in her commitment.

“I couldn’t have done this by myself,” Williams said. “I would not have gotten anywhere this week without my core committee members, all the girls who spent countless hours pomping, and the organizations we were paired with, Zeta Beta Tau, Delta Sigma Phi, and Delta Xi Pi.”

Delta Zeta assistant homecoming chairwoman Mary Hart said she felt a sense of relief after the pomp’s reveal on Friday. But for Hart, the positive feedback Delta Zeta received about the pomp made the sorority’s hard work and sleepless nights well worth it.

“On game day, it was a great feeling. There were big crowds outside our house and people were saying how amazing it was,” Hart said. “It made every problem we had to fix and time we put in worth it.”