UA Students Receive Research Fellowships

Out of more than 12,000 applicants, three University of Alabama students received graduate research fellowships.

Amanda Hanninen, Zack Coppens and Rachel McCarty were among 2,000 students selected nationwide. The Graduate Research Fellowship Program grants up to $121,500 per student to be used for a research-focused master’s or doctoral degree.

Hanninen, a Tuscaloosa native, is earning a master’s degree in biology, studying how tidal environments and food availability affect age-dependent changes in hormones, metabolism and reproduction in clonal fish.

Hanninen said she shifted to biology after earning her bachelor’s in food and nutrition.

“I didn’t become interested in biology per se until quite late in my academic career, when I decided to gain research experience for my resume after hearing about Dr. Earley’s research in one of his classes,” Hanninen said. “I inquired about working in his lab and the rest is kind of history I suppose. I fell in love with all things research.”

Hanninen said the award came at the end of a lengthy and very complex application process.

“Only 17 percent of the candidates this year were awarded a fellowship, and the odds were slim; however, I believe that percentage is misleading as there are so many factors that are taken into consideration, and a single misstep can eliminate you, regardless of how strong the rest of your application is,” Hanninen said. “In other words, 17 percent seems like tough odds, but in reality the odds are much slimmer.”

Because of this difficulty, Hanninen said, the news came as a surprise.

“Needless to say, I was not expecting this at all,” she said.  “It came as quite a shock, and I am extremely grateful to Dr. Earley for all of the time, support, and encouragement he has given me.”

Zack Coppens, another recipient, currently studies mechanical engineering and plans to attend Vanderbilt University in the fall to obtain a master’s in that field.

“My project will explore the heat transfer characteristics of metamaterials,” Coppens said. “These materials, according to some experts, have the ability to make objects invisible. It should be interesting.”

After graduating from Vanderbilt, Coppens said he plans to attend Sandia National Laboratory in Albuquerque, New Mexico where he is spending the summer working.

Coppens’ reaction mirrored Hanninen’s.

“When I received the email, I couldn’t believe it. I was hopeful, but I didn’t really expect to be awarded the fellowship,” Coppens said. “It’s been a great ride ever since.“

Coppens said it isn’t surprising that the University produced three winners of such awards.

“The University of Alabama is a tremendous university with an excellent faculty. What I’ve found through my internships and meetings with students from other higher-ranked schools is that we receive the exact same education,” Coppens said. “I’m proud to say that I attended The University of Alabama, and it doesn’t surprise me that three UA students were awarded this fellowship.”

Hanninen agreed.

“If you look at the list of universities that had multiple fellowship winners, you’ll see the names of the typical ‘top tier’ research universities,” Hanninen said. “The fact that UA had three awardees speaks to its increasing presence as a higher research institution and the fantastic support the faculty gives to its students who are pursuing research.”

McCarty, a graduate student pursuing a doctorate in engineering, was unavailable for comment.

Robert Olin, Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, praised Hanninen, her college, and the University in an emailed statement.

“Amanda’s selection as a NSF Graduate Research Fellow brings distinction not only to this bright young woman, but also to the College and the University,” Olin said. “Having NSF fellows in our graduate programs is a high mark of quality. It reflects admirably on the teaching and research of our faculty and on the caliber of students who are mentored and accepted into our programs.

“For Amanda, a first-year grad student, to be selected for this prestigious honor is an accomplishment indeed. We are all extremely proud of her work and look forward to her continued success.”