Hughes takes presidential election

The Honors College Assembly concluded elections Wednesday and named Sarah Hughes as the new president for HCA with a 169 to 105 victory to her opponent Michael Forst.

“I am excited to continue the incredible work already established by the current president, while simultaneously taking into account the feedback I’ve received from Honors College students in recent weeks,” Hughes said.

Jackie Wuska-Hurt, adviser for HCA, said the turnout for this year’s election was a total of 274 voters, which is a little less than last year.

“Going forward, I hope we continue to increase the number of participants in future elections,” she said.

She said the low turnout could have been due to the weather for the past two days as last year they welcomed sunny weather both days.

Hughes said she was truly inspired by the immense support she received from such a diverse group of students throughout her campaign.

“I am energized and ready to move the Honors College Assembly forward for the benefit of the entire honors college student population and for our entire campus,” she said.

Hughes ran on three pillars, what she called the three “C’s”: create, connect and collaborate.

She said a focus of her campaign was to connect within the established leadership and with the Honors College students to promote involvement.

Hallie Paul said she wishes Hughes the best of luck, and although the position is very challenging, she knows Hughes will do well.

“I encourage all Honors College students to come to me with your concerns and ideas so we can accurately represent all of you in the coming year,” Hughes said.