James runs to greatness in early career

Alabama sophomore track and field star Kirani James’ career is still in its early stages. However, his young career has become one filled with medals, accolades and world records.

From 2007-2009, James won gold in the 400 meters at the CARIFTA Games as well as gold in the 200 meters during the 2008 CARIFTA Games. In 2009, his first event in the under-20 division, he broke Usain Bolt’s record time in 400 meters by .9 seconds with a time of 45.45.

In 2009, he became the first athlete to complete a 200/400-meter double gold during the 2009 World Youth Championships, as well as winning gold in the 400 meters in the Pan American Junior Championships.

All of these achievements, as well as his world-best time in the 200-meter, have been accomplished before his 19th birthday.

Even with all these achievements, he carries himself with a calmness that shows as his preparation for races is simple.

“I go out there and try to perform and not think about winning,” James said. “I just think about running fast. As long as you run fast, your time will be good enough to win the SEC or NCAA.”

Last year he received humbling news from his native country of Grenada, as he was chosen as the country’s Sportsman of the Year.

“It wasn’t a huge surprise to me, but it was very overwhelming to see they’ve seen what I’m doing and appreciate what I do,” James said. “It’s very overwhelming. It’s an honor.”

James’ journey to Tuscaloosa started in his hometown of Gouyave, which is the third-largest fishing town in Grenada. With a population of 4,378, it has been labeled the “action city” due to its festivals, social events, carnivals and glittering night life.

As a child growing up in Gouyave, James was heavily influenced by sports. He said at the age of 13 he became involved in basketball, softball and eventually track and field, which became his specialty.

While being recruited by head coach Harvey Glance and during his first encounters with the rest of the track and field squad, he knew this was a place where he felt he belonged.

“Coach Glance was a major reason why I came to Alabama,” James said. “I like it here. I like Coach Glance. I like my teammates. I like Coach Glance’s personality and my teammates and how they treated me. They treated me like a normal person. I feel very comfortable here.”

Even though he may be comfortable within the track, he admits he is still adapting to the collegiate setting, as well as the cooler climate than that of Grenada, which has an average year-round temperature of 80 degrees Fahrenheit.

James is not only impressive on the track but off it as well. According to Glance, James’s off-the-field attributes can lead him to success on a grand stage in the near future.

“The great thing about Kirani is that he brings all the great things about being an Olympian,” Glance said. “I wouldn’t be surprised if he is in a final of an Olympic games or the finals of a World Championship.”

He added that James is committed to being the best he can be in the classroom as well as on the track. Also, his dedication and focus are second to none.

“He’s willing to make sacrifices and give things up to make sure he achieves greatness,” Glance said. “He’s very focused as to where he wants to be and go in life. His main focus and dream is to run fast.”

Glance said the dedication, focus, commitment and “educated mind” that James has will benefit him moving forward. He added that he tells athletes it’s easier to know where you’re going when you know where you want to go.

However, in the case for James, an athlete who knows where he wants to go and how to get there, the sky is the limit.